Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Pie-Day: Raisin Pie





I made this rather quirky pie in 2011 as our "pie of the month," and it’s one of my mom’s favorites! I must say it exceeded my expectations, and it was quite tasty and fairly easy to make.





This was how I felt making it and eating it.




Basically everything gets cooked in a saucepan – the yummy spices really enhanced the flavor.




I stirred it for about 15 minutes before it became bubbly – it felt like a cauldron!




And that’s actually it. Pour it into the pie pan and cover with top crust.




A lattice top worked very nicely.




It still bubbled for several minutes after it was removed from the oven.




It sat for about an hour to cool and thicken, so it sliced very cleanly.




But most importantly, it tasted heavenly! 



OK, I didn't realize it until just now when I was finding the original recipe to give credit to, but I did not follow this recipe at all. Maybe I copied it down wrong or maybe it's been changed online since I used it, but the original link I used doesn't seem to be the same. It actually contains lemon and nuts, which sounds interesting, but this recipe that I've written below is awesome!

 


Raisin Pie (recipe adapted from All Recipes)


1 cup sugar

2½ tbsp. flour

1½ cups cold water

2 cups raisins

½ tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. nutmeg

1 tbsp. butter

9 inch pie pastry (top and bottom)



  1. In a saucepan, stir together sugar and flour. Add water and mix well. Stir in raisins, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cook and stir over medium heat until bubbly.
  2. Cook and stir one minute more. Remove from heat and stir in butter.
  3. Pour into a pastry-lined pie plate. Top with lattice crust.
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...